Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm So Jealous...

William Ernest Henley's "Invictus" really made me envy his skill. In such a smooth rhythm and with the powerful words and ideas, he is able to convey such a profound concept as individual choice and accountablility. Pride. Stuborn endurance. Responsibility. "I thank whatever gods may be/ For my unconquerable soul." "My head is bloody, but unbowed." "I am the master of my fate./I am the captain of my soul." His statements are so inspirational, so confident. It reminds people just how in control of their own lives they are. Every action or reaction is under your control. You are accountable for whatever outcome comes of your own doing.

Jealous of the concept.
Jealous of the feeling.
Jealous of the power.
Jealous of the impact.
Jealous.

4 comments:

  1. i really like invictus too. first time i heard it was in the movie "invictus" with morgan freeman. really inspirational, both the movie and the poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed!! i love this poem. and i like your post! this poem makes me feel like i can do anything! its awesome! good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When he says "I am the captian of my soul" I think that sometimes we forget that or doze off on our job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha im jealous of the way you wrapped this up-last paragraph, nice and simlpe.

    ReplyDelete